Applying professional hair color at home can be a bit challenging, but with the right techniques and precautions, you can achieve great results. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you apply professional hair color at home:
- Choose the Right Color: Visit a professional hair color supply store, browse our extensive professional level catalogue, consult with a hairdresser to choose the right professional hair color for your desired result. Consider your natural hair color, skin tone, and any previous color treatments.
- Gather the Supplies: Purchase a professional hair color kit that includes the color dye, developer, gloves, mixing bowl, applicator brush, and any other necessary tools. Read the instructions carefully to understand the mixing ratios and application process.
- Prepare Your Hair: Wash your hair a day or two before coloring to remove any product buildup. Avoid using conditioner or styling products on the day of coloring, as they can interfere with the color absorption. Dry your hair thoroughly.
- Protect Yourself: Wear an old shirt or cape and use gloves to protect your skin and clothing from staining. Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly along your hairline, ears, and neck to create a barrier and prevent the color from staining your skin.
- Mix the Color: Follow the instructions provided with the hair color kit to mix the dye and developer in the provided mixing bowl. Use a tint brush to ensure the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Section Your Hair: Divide your hair into manageable sections using clips. Start from the back and work your way up, as it is easier to reach the back of your head.
- Apply the Color: Working with one section at a time, use the applicator brush to apply the hair color to the roots and work your way down to the ends. Make sure to saturate the hair evenly for consistent results. Comb through each section to ensure the color is distributed evenly.
- Time it: Follow the recommended processing time provided with the hair color kit. Set a timer to avoid overprocessing or under processing your hair. You may need to adjust the processing time based on your desired result and hair type.
- Rinse and Condition: Once the processing time is complete, rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water until the water runs clear. Apply the provided conditioner or a deep conditioning treatment to nourish and moisturize your hair.
Style and Maintain:
After rinsing and conditioning, style your hair as desired. Avoid shampooing for at least 24 to 48 hours after coloring to allow the color to set. Use color-safe shampoos and conditioners to maintain the vibrancy of your hair color.
Remember, if you're unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it's always best to consult a professional hairdresser. They have the expertise and experience to help you achieve the best results while minimizing the risk of damage or mistakes.